American Library Association
Government Documents Round Table


Cataloging Committee

To GODORT Homepage

Meeting Minutes

1999 ALA Midwinter Conference
Philadelphia, PA
Sunday, January 31, 1999
9:30-12:30 p.m.
Arlene Weible, Presiding and Recording

Cataloging Government Internet Resources and the Implementation of PURL Technology: A Q&A Session with GPO

Betsy Richmond, Tad Downing, and Laurie Beyer Hall presented information on unique object identification technologies, an overview of GPO's policies related to Internet cataloging, and plans for building and managing the FDLP Electronic Collection.

Respondents Tim Byrne, Nan Myers, and Arlene Weible, as well as members of the audience, followed the remarks with questions covering a variety of topics, including:

A more detailed summary will be distributed to listservs and will be made available from the Committee's web page soon after the Midwinter conference.

Reports and Updates

Federal Documents Task Force - Tim Byrne

No report.

International Documents Task Force - Kathy Jones

Center for Research Libraries has been working on cataloging serial titles from Western Europe and Latin America from 1850-1950. They still have large collection that remains uncataloged. They want libraries to know if they are looking for older international documents from these countries to submit ILL requests with as much information as possible and they will try to fill. The CRLCATALOG the online public access catalog (OPAC) of the Center is available on the Internet. Contains virtually all titles in the Center's cataloged collections. Telnet to CRLCATALOG.UCHICAGO.EDU (128.135.73.2). Foreign Official Gazettes "In process records" do not contain full MARC record information, but, can be retrieved by author, title, words in title, CRL call number (FOG), and subject. The records are being entered concurrently with the processing of the New York Public Library's deposit of Foreign Official Gazettes to CRL.

State and Local Documents Task Force - Barbara Ceizler-Silver

No report.

ALCTS Cataloging Committee: Description and Access (CC:DA) - Aimee Quinn
The complete report will be available on the Committee's web page after Midwinter.

Old Business

Subcommittee to Revise Cataloging Government Publications - Rhonda Marker

Rhonda has distributed a detailed outline of many of the chapters and drafts of some chapters to participating authors. A deadline of May 15 has been established for drafts. Rhonda will begin working with the GODORT Publications Committee to make the appropriate contacts at ALA Publishing. There are still some limited opportunities to contribute to the book, so please contact Rhonda if interested.

Committee's Web Page development - Nan Myers presented an outline for a section of the web page that would provide links to resources useful for Internet cataloging, including GPO policies, standards and manuals, and local library procedures. The committee endorsed the basic outline, and work will begin on a draft web page. The page will be reviewed by the Committee at the Annual meeting.

Progress Report of the Retrospective Conversion Project Survey - Betsy Richmond reported on the preliminary work done to summarize the data collected in the survey. With a little more editing, the summary will be ready for distribution, via Documents to the People and the Committee's web page. A statement should also be included to clearly convey the committee's intentions not to coordinate future projects, but to provide information for libraries or consortia developing projects. Betsy and Tim Byrne will work on getting this ready in time to meet publishing deadlines. The committee will also work on providing suggestions for steps to take when developing future projects.

New Business

Recommendations to GPO - Based on the feedback collected so far, and the MARBI proposal (99-06) on this topic, the Committee is prepared to write a letter to GPO recommending the discontinuation of the practice of including multiple subfield u's in a single 856 field. Also, the committee agreed that it should encourage GPO to alert depository libraries when URLs are replaced with PURLs in catalog records. Reports should include the title of the resource, PURL, URL, and OCLC record number. The format in which this information could be distributed includes email messages to GOVDOC-L and/or DOCTECH, listing on GPO web pages, or inclusion in the Technical Supplement of Administrative Notes. There is no clear consensus in the feedback collected so far on the retention of URL information in catalog records when a PURL is added. The committee will gather additional feedback on this topic before making a recommendation to GPO.
Return to Cataloging Committee Home Page
Return to Cataloging Minutes Index
Last updated: 8-30-99